Subject: Re: Burning film (was Leica bashing on usenet groups)
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 22:21:36 +0100

Gerard Captijn <captyng@vtx.ch> writes
>In terms of the Noctilux, I don't think that in general photographic
>practice there is an essential difference with the Summilux 1.4/50mm. The
>Noctilux transmits twice as much light as the Summilux but the trade off is
>massive light fall-off in the corners and a somewhat lower overall quality
>of the image compared to Leica's other 50 mm's. Also the depth of field at
>f1 is extremely small: distance 1 meter: 0,99 - 1,01 m. 2 meter: 1,96 - 2,05
>m. 3 meter: 2,90 - 3,11 m! Probably interesting only for people doing almost
>exclusively lowlight photography.

There is also the question of very shallow depth of field being
desirable in its own right for some users. Often I can't get what I want
from a 50/f1.4 lens because the background never seems to be out-of-
focus enough and I can't get the picture with the abstract background
that I visualise in my head and want on film. But I've seen pictures
taken with a 50/f1 lens, including the Canon EOS lens, that have a
background that is about as out of focus as I can get with an 85/f1.8 or
90/f2- which is what I want from a fast normal lens. The great thing
about a 50/f1 is that it isn't a fast short telephoto lens, its just a
fast lens! (If you see what I mean).
- --
JB