Subject: Schwalberg and Shutter Delay
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 09:28:21 -0500

At 10:28 PM 4/1/97 EST, ted wrote:

>But those who shoot sports or high action photography rarely if ever
relate to
>this delay aspect. IMHO.  I'm not rying to give anybody a hard time,  I just
>don't believe that guys who are shooting regularly whether it is Leica,
Canon,
>Nikon or any other equipment consistently relate to the fact the camera is
going
>to be 100 milliseconds slower one way or the other.  It is a physically
>impossible time to register from the end of my finger!

I had cited the article Bob Schwalberg wrote in Pop some years back on
this, and Ted's point is the one he was making.  Bob worked for Leica in
the early 1960's when the Nikon F began to take over as the standard
professional tool.  Leica comforted themselves with the fact that THEY had
virtually no delay due to lack of a mirror to get out of the way, and
figured professionals would never be able to adapt to the Nikon's
ten-times-longer delay.

Well, Leica was wrong:  pros just changed their shooting style a bit and
learned to anticipate the picture so that the delay was accommodated, and
did so automatically.

This was one of the several points on which Leica completely misjudged the
attractiveness of the Nikon to professionals.  Admittedly, the single
biggest reason was the customer support -- Nikon gave tremendous support at
that time to pros, while Leica gave none -- but a mis-reading of the
virtues of the SLR, such as they are, was another.  Call it Teutonic
arrogance (Schwalberg did), but the reality is that professionals in 1955
shot Rollei and Leica and, by 1965, shot Nikon and Hassie.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315