Subject: 50mm Summilux versions?????
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 14:06:38 -0500

HI LUGgers,

I'm still plugging through those digests (212 yet to read, the
"metallurgy" thread made me take a few nights off) and so far I have
not seen any discussion comparing the old style 50 Summilux with the
new version.

When did they update the 50 Summilux (to the built-in hood, 46mm
filter)?  Did they update the optics along with the mechanical changes?
 I'm assuming they did, how much improvement or unimprovement was there
between the two?

I know the feeling on this list of Pop Photography lens tests.  But
I've found it's comparison between Leica lenses to be generally
consistent with the comments and reviews of you LUGgers.  That is to
say that in comparing Summiluxes to Summicrons and Elmars.  All of the
before mentioned lenses seem to perform nearly equal stopped down
beyond 4 or 5.6.  I saw that in their tests, the old 50mm Summilux out
performed the new Summicron at every aperture but  f/2.   Does the new
Summilux version equal or out perform the new Summicron at every
aperture?

PLEASE DO NOT START ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT POP LENS TESTS!!!!  I concede
that they are not perfect (period) especially  in comparing the look of
Leica lenses to other brands. etc., etc.

Duane Birkey

Seize the dog fur or was it......... down boy.
(attempt to translate Gaelic humor.)

I do enjoy Marc's posts