Subject: RE: Dealing with George Ury
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:38:12 -0400

Hi LUGgers

I was reading through some more digests last night and came across a
post requesting info on the above dealer.

I have dealt with George on two occasions and will never deal with him
again.

I believe it's becoming common practice for some dealers to recondition
well used cameras and lenses into appearing to be mint condition.  In
my case, it was a heavily used Canon F1fn camera that the brassing was
painted over and a few parts replaced to make it look like new.  I
described the symptoms of the camera to a repair person and they said
"you must shoot a lot with a motordrive don't you",  I said "no, I just
bought this camera from George Ury"  and silence came from the other
end of the phone.  I was talking to George's contracted repair shop .

My brother bought a F-1fn camera and two lenses from George.  I didn't
put two and two together until after about a year, seeing his formerly
mint camera and 200mm lens now with considerable wear.  My brother
shoots about 10 rolls of film a year.   Knowing him and knowing what it
takes to wear Canon equipment to that condition, I realized that he had
been sold a bum bill of goods too.

I suppose if I had a mint M3 except for a scratch on the speed dial, I
would think about finding a mint dial to put on it.  That is, if it was
for my collection.  I can accept a certain amount of replacing minor
parts,  some people destroy battery covers for example, but repainting
users and selling them at mint prices, that crosses the line in my
opinion.  Adding a new gold Japanese inspection sticker is icing on the
cake of deception.

On several instances I have seen George and Tony (his repair guy) at
shows looking at various user cameras (like a Hasselblad SWC CF and
F3's) discussing the replacement of parts to make them appear to be
mint.  It's amazing what you can hear if you stand around dealers table
long enough.   When I used to live in Chicago, I went to every show.

I used to think that they couldn't redo chrome bodies.  But there is at
least one dealer besides George who attends the Chicago area shows who
can do a pretty good job.  I saw an Chrome SL2 that one dealer was
showing to his buddy bragging about the touch up job he did and how
much profit he was going to make off of it.  And his buddy, seeing
$signs, went and returned with a couple of M-bodies to see what he
could do with them.  The premium on collectable equipment is tempting
dealers to do such restoration,  SOME advertise what they've done, and
Some take your money on the sly.

So the moral is,  look very very very carefully for irregularities at
the finish of used camera and lenses you are buying.  Advances levers
that aren't tight vertically or horizontally, focus rings that seems
loose, engraved paint that looks cleaner or dirtier than the rest of
the finish etc.  The best thing you can do is learn the feel of new
equipment.  If the mint example you are looking at doesn't have that
feel, walk away.  I was ignorant of such matters back then, but am no
longer.   Incidently, I returned that F-1fn and traded it for my first
Leica, a M-3 DS and a 50mm DR and bought a new F-1fn.

So...... Deal with reputable dealers.   Or buy new....

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador

PS  Incidently, there was a discussion around digest 55 about the how
long cameras are designed to last.  M-Leicas (per PR) are designed to
not show wear until after 100,000 cycles.  Canon F-1s (per PR)  are
tested to 100,000 cycles (exposures).  There is a major difference
between the two statements.

One photographer  I knew who uses (unless he went to EOS too)  Leica R
for sports said that his R's lasted  over 2 1/2 times as many exposures
as did Nikons.  So he figured.