Subject: Re: Konica releases the Hexar Lens for M mount in Japan
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 19:53:43 +0900

Danny,

Somehow it doesn't seem like much Nikon, Canon, etc news crops up here
that doesn't spread quickly to other markets.  At least at my
level---I'm just poking around bookstores checking out mags and
pestering my local dealers.  Don't have any industry buddies or
contacts.  Besides, this is Leica group, isn't it?

One thing I see as newsworthy and frustrates me is what's happened to
the Contax G market here (I've got a G1 and 28/45/90 lenses).  When
the G2 was announced used G1s flooded the market, so G1 prices/values
plummeted as well.  You can pick up a decent used G1 body today for as
little as US$370!  The G2 itself doesn't seem to be selling nearly as
well as the G1 did, either, despite being priced only 20,000 yen
higher than the G1. IMHO the fact that G1 owners like me who didn't
trade up immediately are despairing at how little their G1s are worth
in a trade for the G2 is a significant factor in the slow G2 sales.  I
wonder whether Kyocera is surprised by this turn of events.... =20

I'm trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and trade the whole G1
set in for some more Leica M glass (brought this back to Leica-land!),
or hold on to it since it's not a bad little camera.....

Regards,

PB

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997 04:07:42 -0400 (EDT), dannyg1@IDT.NET (Danny
Gonzalez) wrote:

>Paul,
>
>Thanks for your confirmation on the Hexar lens. Any other fun news you =
can
>give us? (Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Olympus all welcome)
>
>Best,
>Danny Gonzalez

Paul C. Brodek/Trek Japan
E-mail: pcb@iac.co.jp