Subject: Finder brightness
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 19:01:23 -0800

LUGnuts:

Yesterday I borrowed my studio mates Nikon F5 with 80-200 and compared
finder brightness with my N90s and 80-200.  I was expecting the F5 to be
brighter.  It's more money, right?

I found, to my surprise, that if I stopped the lens on the N90s down one
stop the finders matched in brightness.

Evidence of rumors I've heard that since most manufacturers are going to
AF they don't feel the need to concentrate on bright finders.

But I've seen the R7, and it is at least a stop brighter than my N90s,
and the R8 makes the R7 look like it is wearing sunglasses.

So how do they do it.  What factors create a bright, easy to focus
finder????

Donal Philby
San Diego