Subject: Re: CL v M serries
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET (Danny Gonzalez)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:32:40 -0400 (EDT)

The CL is a very small, manually metered (ala M5 via semophore arm; center
the needle opeation. Shutter speed viible in finder. Focal length markings
on individual frames) camera that takes most M lenses. It is a great little
camera but doesn't enjoy a good reputation for durability or reliability
(as compared to an M6. It is fairly reliable though not at all durable).
The meter cell is an old Cds cell that is powered by the USA defunct PX625
mercury battery. If original, the cell is around 20 years old and is at the
end of its useful operational life. A dying cell gives non-linear response
and must be replaced to restore linearity.

The most noticable differences from a full sized M camera are the smaller
baseline, darker viewfinder and the tiny rangefinder patch. These are
compromise elements tha are inherent to smaller bodies and though they are
disadvantageous, they do not render the camera 'hard' to use.

Two variations of the body were sold: The Leica CL and the identical but
differently badged Leitz/Minolta CL. The Minolta version can be found for
less money.

The camera was sold with two companion lenses: the 90/4 Elmar-c/German made
Rokkor (not to be confused with the CLE Rokkor) and the 40/2
Summicron/Rokkor CL (not to be confused with the CLE Rokkor). both are
excellent; the 90 German Rokkor is a better lens than my 90/2.8
Tele-Elmarit (on my M6).

The cameras are very useful and I'd recommend one to my best friends.