Subject: Re: Toners and Leica Glow
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:33:01 -0400

[snip]
>The "Uranium" toner exists. It consists of what we call in French "Nitrat
>d'uranil", which is a natural, low radioactive substance. Darkroom
>alchemists, like myself, use it to obtain what we in French call "virage a
>l'urane", a warm, light brown tone, similar to brick. Yes, Jim Brick!
>
>Previously it was delivered in ordinary plastic containers, now there is a
>lot of security measures about storage and use of this product (it comes in
>steel containers and so on).
>
>The radioactivity is far below the legal standards of course, at the level
>of "natural" radioactivity. Anyway, the uranic toner (better translation?)
>gives a beautiful aspect.

[snip]

Oddmund, of course I have heard of Uranium toners, but I have never seen any
references to formulas etc.  Do you have any that you could post to the
list?  This all assumes that I can obtain Uranium Nitrate.  The usual
photographic sources such as Photographers Formulary don't list it.  It
would be nice to obtain a "sepia" look that is a bit different from the
usual Kodak sepia toners etc.

Dan C.