Subject: Re: M7---Well Sort Of--
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 20:17:27 -0700

At 09:09 AM 4/20/97 -0700, you wrote:

>On an unrelated note, can anyone advise me regarding the use of a new 50
>Elmar as an enlarging lens? And about using a 90 tele for 6x4.5 and 6x6
>enlargements? I'm currently inclined to divest myself of M gear for awhile
>(seduced again by those lower-cost 6x4.5 rangefinders!), but if I could
>keep the lens(es) in use, that would be great.

Taking lenses are rarely satisfactory as enlarging lenses. They work, but
are not intended for that purpose. Enlarging lens formulas are computed for
going from a flat field to a flat field (flat neg to flat paper.) Taking
lenses are for a 3-D view to a flat field. You will probably experience
sharpness and density fall-off around the edges of the print. Even
projector lenses are different depending upon if you are projecting
glassless slides or glass mounted slides. Glassless slides have an inherent
curl and therefore require (for the best projection) a lens that is
computed for a curved field on one side (the slide) and a flat field on the
other (the screen.) Glass mounted slides require lenses similar to
enlarging lenses. Basically any lens will work anywhere, but the results
will be far better if the proper lens is used.

Jim