Subject: Re: Leica reflex lenses
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 21:30:43 -0700

At 11:09 PM 4/21/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am new to this list and Leica.
>
>Could some one explain to me all of the variations of the Leica
>reflex camera lens mount.  1,2, and 3 cam, why Tamron has a R4
>ONLY adapter.  What was Leica thinking?
>
>Jerry
>corlock@pioneerplanet.infi.net

Leica R lenses for Leicaflex cameras with external meter are single-cam
lenses (one axial cam.)

Leica R lenses for TTL meter Leicaflex cameras are two-cam lenses (two
axial cams.)

Leica R lenses for Leica-R cameras (R3 - R8) are three-cam lenses (two
axial & one rotational cam.)

A version of the 50 mm f/2 Summicron-R with only the rotational cam is made
for use on *any* R camera (R3 - R8.) It is engraved "FOR LEICA R ONLY" and
will not work properly on any Leicaflex body.

The tamron adapter has only a rotational cam. It should work on any R camera.

You may use any Leicaflex or Leica R lens on any reflex body without worry
of damaging your camera or lens. All reflex lenses (except the rotational
only lens) will work on any Leicaflex or Leica R camera body. If you use a
one or two cam lens on a Leica R body, you must stop down the lens to take
a meter reading. Otherwise the reading will be wrong. Likewise using a one
cam lens on a Leicaflex with TTL metering.

Jim