Subject: Realizing Your Dream
From: Michael Zeleny <zeleny@math.ucla.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 97 11:08:46 PDT

>From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
...whose email address does not appear to work.

>Date: 23 Apr 97 08:57:04 -0700
>Subject: Impossible dream?
>
>What with all of the talk regarding sub-$800 mint minus M4-Ps, my interest
>has been piqued: What's possible right now, and does anyone have some leads
>to share? And what about pretty-but-broken cameras? I've never fixed a
>Leica before, but if the price is right, I got the tools, service manuals,
>other successful repairs under my belt, and plenty of confidence :-) In the
>past few years, I have seen ONE person advertising an M4-P at $850, have
>seen some heavily worn ones at around $800--but it sounds as if I should be
>seeing better prices? What about the M4-2? Looking to essentially to swap
>(maybe not to the same folks) my chrome M4 for a black Canadian model plus
>some cash or needed darkroom gear, (like 50 and 80mm lenses, B760XL neg
>carriers for 35 & 6x4.5, etc), if possible-that might be the best of all
>possible worlds as far as I'm concerned-having my Leica AND my cash :-) And
>though it may be heresy to speak of, I may not be adverse to a Contax G
>trade + cash (or lens) either.

What sort of condition is your M4 in?

>Would also be most intersted in similar sorts of deals for a black, 35 or
>50 Summicron plus cash,  in exchange for my current M-  black 50/2.8 Elmar.
>Don't want lenses that are too old though.

Canadian 50mm f/2 Summicron, black epoxy, #3358829, 3rd version, with
caps and box, mint-, the only flaw being slight wear of epoxy finish,
just serviced by Leica.

>Oh, by the way, the cash price for my M4 is now $995, or $445 if cash is
>accompanied by a nice Gitzo 1228, and a somewhat less if THAT is
>accompanied by an Arca B-1 :-) Am I imagining things, or is the whole world
>looking for these two items right now...

I have a Gitzo Reporter with a pan head.  Would it do?

Cordially -- Mikhail * God: "Sum id quod sum." Descartes: "Cogito ergo sum."
Zeleny@math.ucla.edu *** Popeye: "Sum id quod sum et id totum est quod sum."
itinerant philosopher *** will think for food ** www.ptyx.com ** MZ@ptyx.com
ptyx, 6869 Pacific View Drive, LA, CA 90068, 213-876-8234/213-874-4745 (fax)