Subject: Re: Leicaphilia
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 19:58:15

Ted wrote:

>Unfortunately this is a great big cruel cold world run by some Leaders of
>countries who don't care a wit about their people and use them merely as
slaves
>or providers of income for the Leaders lavish life styles.
>
>On occaision I have thought I could change that with my cameras and images of
>the down trodden, and you know what?
>
>"It don't happen in this great big cold cruel world!"

Well, I am old enough to know that it is not easy. But contrary to you and
probably many others, I don't resign. I am not pretentious though. I don't
think I can change the world. I don't think I am better than you. I just
have different ideas. I never swallowed the idea according to which "life
is like that" and that "there isn't really anything I can do, so why bother!"

Just because life is so short, I think it is important to do as much as
possible, with a camera, with a pen, as a father, as a citizen, and so on.
Most people walk through their lifes without asking too many questions. At
least not the controversial ones. We are educated like this.

I have 'always' been a revolted. Since I was very young I have tried to
contribute with my limited forces, trying to wake up my fellows, open up
their eyes, widen their horizon. I am not fanatic though. I don't think
there are one solution and one direction. I don't think there are any
simple solutions either. It takes time and a lot of energy to change people
and ideas, and the world.

I live a quiet life at the countryside, I have a good wife and nice
children. That is one of the reasons why I continue the 'struggle'. I want
that our children, together with all other children, should grow up to live
in a better world. There is nothing strange about this, I think. What is
strange is hearing people saying the same, without doing anything about it...

I don't want to wake up one day with a hang over, looking back on my life
as more or less wasted time. Living how you *want*, doing what you *want*,
buying what you *want*, going where you *want*, everything you *want* and
'having fun', is not really a life, is it? And it has nothing to do with
freedom as many seems to think!

Oddmund