Subject: Making Decisions
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 16:40:28 -0400

Pascal,

I think that the biggest challenge that those of us that are into
high-end photo equipment face, is similar to that which high-end
audiofiles contend with. Namely, that when one is comparing excellent
quaility components, there is often very little real difference between
them.

Over 35 years I've owned and used most major camera systems, (as well
as, for that matter, my share of high end audio components), and though
we can often rationalize our purchases, much of the time it's just that
- -- a rationalization.  (By the way, it takes guts to make the type of
admission you have made.  Most people would take the rationalization
route instead).

Having said that, a while ago when I decided that my need for autofocus
was almost nill (about 5 years before I'd decided convinced myself that
I couldn't live without a Nikon F4 system -- (even though I mostly shoot
nature and landscapes , tripod mounted)).  I therefore found myself
choosing between 2 SLR systems, Contax and Leica R.

I chose Contax because while the Zeiss lenses give me everything that I
wanted in a lens line (impecable design and construction, wonderful
manual feel, superb resolution, contrast etc, etc -- the Leica line did
as well.  The Leica R system was in many ways more compelling, because
of my lifelong experience with and admiration for M bodies and lenses,
and as well a certain fascination and lust for some of the more fabled
optics, such as the 100 APO Macro.

In the end though, I bought a Contax system.  Why?  Camera bodies aside,
because I knew that in reality I would end up with images that were as
technically proficient from Zeiss glass as from Leica.  Arguably, in
some cases even better. In the end, even though I am fortunate enough to
be able to afford almost any lens, I chose Zeiss because the 10's of
thousands of $$ more that a comprehensive Leica lens system would have
cost (I bought 8 lenses when I switched from Nikon), just didn't seem to
make sense, on a practical, economic or esthetic basis.

One of the differences though is that Zeiss lenses don't have the same
panache that those from Leica do. (Better marketing?) The 35mm f/1.4
ASPH Summilux is a good example.  What a legend!  But, my 35mm f/1.4
Distagon for Contax also has a glass aspheric element as well as a
floating element for close-up aberation control.  Image quality wide
opon is a joy.  It just doesn't have the "hype" that the leica
equivalent does among cameraphiles.

I'm by no means criticising those that would decide otherwise, just
pointing out that what drives us in these things is often a strange
combination of desire, irrationality, the scientific method and
stupidity.

In the end, we live with our decisions and make the best of them.

Cheers,
Michael H. Reichmann
E-mail:	michael.reichmann@alphanet.net