Subject: Zeiss & Leica Lenses
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 22:33:11 -0400

>I use to own a CONTAX RTS III,  + a CONTAX 139MM and  35mm 1,4,  =
85mm1,4,
>105mm 3,5 and a 180mm 2,8 lenses.

>Good body, good lenses, but what I don't like at all was the poor =
quality
>of the bayonet (aluminium in most cases), reflection on the diaphragm
>blades and the system of hoods both metal (huge) or rubber (shabby for
>Zeiss) .

>Then I've moved to Leica. (I also use a Nikon AF with three lenses)

> Lucien
>BELGIUM
- --snip--

Lucien,

I don't want this to deteriorate into a Zeiss vs Leica debate.  I agree =
with you on many of your points.  But not on all.

The rubber hoods are, in my opinion, quite good, and better in fact than =
most.  The lens bayonet appears very robust (regardless of material), =
and I have had no problem with blade reflection, nor have I heard about =
anyone else who has.

The lack of a lens orientation mounting "button" on Contax lenses is a =
great frustration.  Something that I sorely miss.  But, when it comes to =
bodies, until the R8 came out a few months ago, there was no comparison =
between the capabilities of the RTSIII and any R body.  (Just my opinion =
folks - back in your seats).  Even today, without the winder and motor =
the R8 is hampered in such a comparison.  Of course lens price comes =
into any comparison issue in a small way as well.

Cheers,

Michael