Subject: Re: So you want to change the world with your Leica
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 18:41:08 -0800

Roger Beamon wrote:

 I've long argued that this type of discussion is photographic
> mental masturbation. Your reference to a "Dominatrix" (gasp!) would
> seem to make my case. [Would you tell me about her in a private
> email?  8^)  ]

Roger,

For me, this has been the most meaningful type of discussion.  Most of
the tech stuff about Leica is a delete.  I spent years making a living
as a writer and studied grammar (though perhaps you wouldn't know it
from my posts!), but grammar (and typewriters) weren't things we
discussed among writers.

And the in book about Magnum, In Our Time, the author talks about
discussions among the photographers that almost never involved
"photography."

These are not easy things to discuss.

But I support you playing with your toys anyway you want, Roger!

As for the Dominatrix, maybe Oddmund would be willing to pay and you
could be taught a lesson or two about humility and acceptance of other
people's ideas.  We could then turn the tables and hang Oddmund up by
his thumbs (I'm sure you wouldn't mind paying her fee).  Of course, we
might find out he likes the pain!!

In truth, the Dominatrix was photographed in the studio with a Pentax
6x7, and thus no worthy subject for our venerable Leica board.

However, I am working on a web site.....

Donal Philby
San Diego