Subject: Re: 90mm Summicron Question
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 07:56:59 -0700

Ken Lee wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the difference between the old 90mm Summicron and the
> newer one?  I recently acquired a circa 1960 chrome example in beautiful
> shape. It is, however, huge and heavy and the diaphragm turns in the
> opposite direction to the arrows in the M6 viewfinder.
>
> Neither of these is a show stopper, but if the optical quality of the
> smaller newer one is as good or better

From a collectors/long term value standpoint, the chrome version in
beautiful shape will be worth more in the long run.  Used, its worth
more even now due to collector's interest, at least at the West coast
shows.

From an optical standpoint, it depends upon whose opinion you wish to
follow.  Everyone seems to agree both versions of the 90 Summicron are
great lenses.  Some say the newer smaller version is better, some say it
is not.

Making your own tests might be the safest answer.

Note however, the older version's lens head can be used on the Visoflex
even at infinity.  The newer version's cannot.

Stephen Gandy