Subject: Re: 35mm lenses compared?
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 08:01:47 -0700

On 16 May 97,  O.J. Anshus <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
wrote:

<snip>

I sure agree with you on the sunshade, Otto. My new model ASPH came
with the new style shade and I share your distaste for it. The cut
out is rather a joke, to me at least, since the framework of the
cutout still shows in the viewfinder and only reduces the problem
slightly. I think that most M shooters have become accustomed to
seeing part of most lenses and hoods in the finder and learn to
ignore it.

I may look around for a plain old rubber screw in type shade, sized
such that vignetting is not a problem.

The low coma and flare compared to the 35/2 M Summicron was my reason
for buying it and I'm delighted with it in those areas.

> However, I am not happy at all with the sun shade. The one which
> came with the lens keeps getting dislocated if I bump into it or
> lift the lens by it (I still have the Leica literature bragging
> about the new lens shade, and that the lens could be lifted securely
> by grabbing just the sun shade. This was pure nonsense, and Leica
> has produced a replacement sun shade). Therefore, I got the new lens
> shade with a locking collar (I also had to pay alost $100 to finance
> Leicas failure to produce a functional sun shade the first time).
> The new lens shade has a big locking collar ending up close to the
> aperature ring when the sun shade is mounted. It is big, ugly, and
> more importantly prevents you from using the aperature ring easily.
> With gloves you can forget about controlling the aperature securely.
> Why oh why didn't Leica just modify the sun shade of the original
> aspherical 35 (with 2 aspherical surfaces) instead of selling me two
> half done sun shade projects?
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com
         You can't win department:
    Why is it that paychecks come less taxes, whereas,
    everything you buy is plus taxes?