Subject: Re: journalistic photography in 50s
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 17:57:29 -0300

Yep, Ted,

I am the same Fred Ward who photographed PORTRAIT OF A PRESIDENT, a
2-month behind-the-scenes of the USA President. Amazingly, that 1975
book was the last project done inside the White House by an outside
photographer. I described it once on this list because it was largely
done with Leica M cameras. (In fact, the two government photographers
who worked at the White House daily then also used Leica Ms for the same
reason I did... small, quiet, ideal for available light.)

I shot every day and night for 2 months, from the day Nixon resigned
until just after Ford pardoned him. The deal with the White House was
for an exclusive for a book that Harper and Row would publish (and
did).  I worked daily with four cameras... 3 Leica Ms and one Nikon F. I
had the 21mm, 28mm, 35mm, and 50mm Leica lenses for the Leicas and an
85mm, 80-200mm zoom, 200mm and 300mm for the Nikon. Worked well, and it
was all shot by natural light.

Glad you remember it.

Regards,

Fred Ward