Subject: Re: Dupes from colour negatives
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 11:32:08 -0500

>We should get one of the wire service photo editors on here about sacanning
>colour negs, as that is all that Canadian Press, Associated Press and Reuters
>use to-day. So every colour photograph you see from any wire and most major
>dailies around the world come from colour neg film.

Hello  Ted,

In my former life I shot for the now defunct United Press International,
and the newspaper I worked for prior to that was one of the first with the
Leafax neg transmitter.  It is true that the color negs work better for
scanning from these devices.  The contrast range is easier for theses
scanners to handel.  Also, at least on the older scanners, you could even
get away with an underexposed image (slightly underexposed worked better
than over).  You could place a blank strip of film with the under neg and
increase density to get the better scan.  You had to place a blank neg
strip in the machine when scanning the trans films to flatten out the
contrast range.  I am talking about the old (this was 5-7 years ago) Leaf
35 transmitter.  The newerIIID's and Mac Powerbook/Nikon scanner bundels
probably work better than those things did.

You could not tell any difference in the color negs we scanned using the
leaf and the chromes scanned on the drum scanner, but then agian we are
talking NEWSPAPER reproduction here-almost any thing looks ok.

By the way the Associated Press doesn't even use film any more they use a
digital camera back mounted on a Nikon N90 back with a PICMA card to store
the images.  I have seen those guys litterally transmitt from their seats
when covering the CMA (Country Music Association) awards show here in
Nashville using the Mac powerbook with a cell phone!!  Mark Humphrey (the
local AP shooter) is a freind of mine and he said he has not shot film in
well over a year.

Now having said all of the above--the magazine firm I now shoot for uses
only slide film, and our printer gets much better results from slide film.
Also when I do a shoot for Black Star it is always on Chrome.  I think this
is more because there is no question to what the color should be in a
photo.  If you use gels or whatever it will be what you wanted in the
pix-not what the printer/scanner opperator wanted in the photo.  Of course
when it goes to press they can totally screw that up!!

I know of no newspapers/wireservices who still shoot chrome or black&white
films.  Everything on color neg transmit in color and the local papers can
output in B&W if they want it that way.  All photos now are transmitted
into a computer in the newsrooms...no more laserphotos.  At least I guess
Reuter, AFP, and CP do this as the AP got rid of the laser fax machines
years ago.  Those things don't even work with their current system of photo
delivery.

Sorry to ramble so long on an off topic subject.

By the way I have had slides made from negs also, and while not cheap they
are cheaper than an 8x10 print and will scan better because light passes
through the  image as opposed to a reflective source like a print.

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto