Subject: Scanning negatives/chromes
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 13:33:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

Ian Stanley wrote:

<Has anyone had any experience in scanning colour negatives?>

I have scanned hundreds of slides and negatives using my Nikon Coolscan IIs.
It seems the more compressed scale of the negatives does usually result in a
better scan, though one does loose the "objective" color reference of the
transparency. On balance, one is probably better off using C-41, but I must
admit a reluctance to give up my chromes.

We also use photo CDs a great deal, and have found the scan quality to be
quite high. The combination of photo CD and film produces a much better
digital image than any - yes,  any - digital 35mm-sized camera on the market
at this time, including the Kodak/Nikon 460. The digital cameras all use some
form of JPEG compression, so even high-resolution images are degraded.

If the image houses are accepting negatives, I guess it comes down to two
factors for me:
1. the greater exposure latitude of negatives vs. the color reference of
slides.
2. the intended final product (print, scan, projection).

A third factor may be the archival stability of negatives versus chromes.
Unknown to me.

And I still prefer black and white for my art prints...

Thanks for your patience,

Will