Subject: Re: Lenstests.
From: "Lucien_vD@compuserve.com" <Lucien_vD@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 09:38:45 -0400

Gerard Captijn wrote:

<One of the best lenses in todays range of M glass is the Tele-Elmarit-M
<90mm/f2,8. The french photo monthly Chasseur d'Images published in 1996 =
an
<excellent test, awarding 5 stars (their highest rating is 5 stars and th=
ey
<give 5 star rating to only to a few lenses).

<The Elmarit-R 90mm/f2,8 is optically identical to the Tele-Elmarit-M (sa=
me
<glass mounted in different metal). Chasseur d'Images rated this month th=
<Elmarit-R 4 stars. If one compares the definition diagrams, the corners
come
<out approximately the same but the center of the Elmarit-R shows clearly=

<better definition than the center of the identical Tele-Elmarit-M. Given=

the
<extremely small tolerances under which Leica produces glass, normal
<production variances cannot explain these differences. It must be the
<testing methods used. QED.

<Despite obvious flaws in lens testing however, I think that lens tests a=
re
<useful for those in the market for a new lens. The best aperture of both=

- -M
<and -R versions was f 5,6.   =

I think you want to discuss the Elmarit-M 90/2,8 not the Tele-Elmarit, wh=
is not produced sinds 1989/90.

Anyway, I noted the same kind of variances in BAS (Germany) test.

Lucien,
Belgium