Subject: Re: Multiple bodies
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 18:38:53 -0500

><<<You see, I am fairly adaptable in my technique,>>>>>>>>

I was covering the second round of the NCAA Basketball tourney in Atlanta
in 1992 when the mount on my 300 2.8 (ok I admit it was a Tamron with the
Leica adaptor, but hey I worked for a paper no way could I afford the APO
2.8 Leica.  ;) came loose.  I used gaffer tape to fasten the lens securly
to the camera and got some good shots.  One ran on the front page and one
sports front of our paper.  Talk about creative--a gaffertape R6!!!

One thing to teach you what is essintial and what is not is to cover a PGA
tournment.  Just try walking a golf course about 5 times in one day
carrying a lot of stuff you never get out of your bag and you will QUICKLY
lighten up your load.  The first day of the Masters I carried way too much
stuff--and that course is cursed it is ALL uphill.  The following days I
lightened load to 3bodies and 3 lenses 1 400 2.8 with converter.  1 80-200
2.8 zoom, 1 24mm.

I also believe you should carry extra bodies, esp. when someone is paying
you to be there.  If you drop your R7 as the swimmer is getting ready to
win the gold medal you Better have some GOOD friends, as obviously Ted
does!!

>You bet and if ever there was a location that fits the old saying, "what goes
>around, comes around!" the Olympics is the place. If, as some
>photographers are,
>As---;es and if they have been displaying their anti social cooperate with
>your
>buddies attitude over the years, it comes back to haunt them just when
>they >need a hand

Boy Ted I think this is true of any major sporting event.  I have not
covered an Olympics yet, but I have been at several World Serries,
Superbowls, PGA golf tourneys, and NCAA Basket and footbaall title games
and there is always someone who has equipment problems.  The A**es are
usually ignored, but the other people really often go out of their way to
help.  That is one thing about photogs if you handel yourself in a
professional manner and are easy going (at least easy going for newsies)
then others will lend a hand when you need it.  It is truly a comraderie
that knows no boundaries.  And as you said you can see someone only once
every few years but you always go out for a beer or whatever as soon a you
get a chance.

Cheers,

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com