Subject: Re: Zone system
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:20:06 -0400 (EDT)

Jack wrote:

Adams also mentions a way around this for roll film users. Expose
>according to Zone System principles (which first involves a bit of
>worthwhile testing for film speed and development times), then develop
>"N-1" - which usually works out to about 10 to 20 percent less than
>normal time. This assures that scenes with normal or above normal
>contrast ranges do not get over developed.
> Then print on higher grades of paper for normal, or low contrast scenes,
>lower grades for higher contrast scenes. This works out to a grade 3 for
>normal with most papers and developers. Thus roll film users standardize
>on grade 3 paper.

You know, I agree with this.  As a practical approach it works fine.  Test,
test and then test again.  Generally, overexpose a stop and pull by 20
percent (accept the meter reading for a blue sky or green grass - on a sunny
day - as being the 'correct' exposure).  I would add that it makes a lot of
sense to shoot a lot of film.  If you go out with your camera, make sure you
shoot a roll each time.  For real.  Make 3 (same) exposures of each image
(in case you scratch one or two).  This way you only get 12 'shots' per
roll.  This way you'll get real good with exposure and developing.  Also, on
cloudy or rainy days (my favorites), you'll start with fresh film for the
day.  You'll want to develop this an additional 20 percent (or so - by
testing) to force the expansion.  The rule of thumb:

If there is (metered) less than 1 stop difference between two adjacent grey
zones as YOU visually perceive them (soupy wet days), cut exposure one-third
stop and develop 20 percent more than normal (normal being the 20 percent
below manufacturer's recs).

If there is (metered) 1 stop difference between two adjacent grey zones as
YOU visually perceive them, expose normally and develop normal (normal being
the 20 percent below manufacturer's recs).

If there is (metered) more than 1 stop difference between two adjacent grey
zones as YOU visually perceive them (very bright afternoons, esp. at the
beach or in snow), add 1/3 stop to the exposure expose normally and
underdevelop 20 percent (normal being the 20 percent below manufacturer's recs).

Curt

Elizabeth Mei Wong
Henry Curtis Miller, M.P.A.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
In the Berkshires, next door to Tanglewood