Subject: Re: Leica M6 Query
From: Detlef Beyer <d.beyer@hermes.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 15:54:58 +0200

>Hello Leica users,
>
>I'm new to this list & I'm in the market for a camera system. Basically
>I've narrowed down the choices to: Leica M6 camera, Contax G2 body & Contax
>RX, S2B. I know these are all different cameras and are not in comparison
>to each other. My 1st priority thou is the Leica M6. I hope you guys don't
>mind but I have a few questions I would like to ask:
>
>a.) assuming you are all Leica users, what is it down you like about the
>Leica system specifically the M6 ?
>b.) How do you find its built, operation, ease of use, durability and
>reliability ?
>c.) How do you find its M lenses ?? what are its characterestic not found
>in other slr's like Canon, Nikon, Carl Zeiss ?
>d.) How big of an enlargement have u done with it ? how is it ?
>e.) Would u highly recommend it ??
>
>Would greatly appreciate some comments and suggestions.
>
>Regards
>
>Ferdinand

Hi Ferdinant,

I'm too very new to thsi list and my english is very poor too. But I like
to reply to your mail and maybe it's usefull for you.
I own my M6 since several years (I got a M4 before), I'm also using a
Rolleifelx 2.8GX, a Linhof Technikardan and a Nikon F4S. The M6 is the only
camera I build up a "relationship" with. With other models if have to
concentrate on the act of taking a picture, with the M6 I feel it. For
example I'm getting only 1% pictures out of focus - the M6 let me feel the
sharpness (OK - the M6 offers also a very bright viewer). Maybe to build up
such a "relationship" is the most important thing and IMHO it differs who
get's in touch with wich camera. Maybe you like the heavy touch of a F4S or
you prefer the different point of view of a 6*6 with a viewer from top like
the Rolleiflex... The quality of the camera is outstanding and me and
friends of mine (with some experience) suggest that the picture taken with
a Leica lens has more clearness, the image appears "more open". But the
quality of the camera, not the brand of the camera, but the human behind
the viewer will do good or bad pictures. There is also one negative point
about the M6: the camera, the lenses and all parts around the camera are
totaly overpriced. You have to pay for the red dot (wich I cover with black
tape when traveling around - my security tip. The people are very sensitive
to the red point). I love my M6 and I will never need any innovations on
the camera sector in the future - you don't have to buy the expensive mags
anymore... ;-)
Again - sorry for my poor english.

Cheers,

Detlef

   Detlef Beyer * Volksgartenstr. 34 * 50677 Cologne * Germany
        phone: 49.221.93 18 700 * fax: 49.221.32 42 45
                ( ask for my PGP-Key if needed )
        (ask for CoolTalk or QuickTime Conferencing Video)

      URLs: http://www.hermes.de/priv/detpriv/detbey.html
            http://www.hermes.de/KITE/
	    http://www.hermes.de/chile/

                           ###