Subject: Re: R8 Construction
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 15:44:01 -0700

Hi All,

I just got off the phone with Don Goldberg discussing the R8.

I misunderstood Don's previous comments, and in doing so misquoted him.
My apologies to Mr. R8 (aka Ted).

He did confirm that the R8 surprised him by reminding him internally of
the Prakticas--but he did not mean that in a negative way.

It seems that the R4 to R7 look inside like a typical Japanese SLR.  Not
too surprising since they are based on Minolta technology.

The R8 inside looks very unlike previous R's and very unlike previous
Leicas in general. Its a whole new direction.  It just so happens that
the internal engineering reminds Don of Praktica's designs.

He makes no predictions of ruggedness etc, time will tell.

Stephen Gandy