Subject: R8, first impressions of an amateur
From: "Elliot M. Puritz, MD" <drpuritz@li.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 00:17:52 +0000

Luggers:  Finally got a chance tonight to "play around"  with the R8 which
arrived yesterday.  Was abit disappointed.  Is it my imagination, or is the
camera abit clunky and akward to hold and use.  Of course, I'm comparing it
to my older R5, and the wonderfully ergonomic M6.  Found the viewer abit
brighter then the R5, but not a heck of a lot different.  Perhaps outside I
will notice more of a differrence, but the real advantage of the brighter
viewer, I thought, would be inside in lower light.  Realize the metering is
probably better, but still wonder how often the " integral " setting and
matrix program is really used.  And, of course, haven't run any film
through the " 8 " yet, so can't comment on end results.   Also, haven't used
the flash yet, but the instruction booklet explaining how to use such flash
settings could certainly be improved!  I recall the discussion recently
about the SCA adaptors...has anyone enough experience with the new 3000
series and the R8 to give some comments and guidance.
Donal, appreciate your comments concerning the 80-200 Vario.  Will get
more information on the alternative choices.  Have you used the R8?
Opinion versus the R5 and later?

Thanks to you all,

Elliot