Subject: Re: More info on electrical lens contacts on the R8
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 21:26:52 +0200

At 15:17 +0100 28-06-1997, Joe Berenbaum wrote:

>>The lens contacts, and the contact grip on the R8 will make full autofocus
>>possible, once the new model of the R8 (R8.2?) comes out, and the current
>>R8 body will be upgradable. The R8 was conceived to be fully "ready" for
>>future autofocus functions. Then, all electrical contacts will be used
>>(instead of only two of them at this moment).
>>Pascal
>
>What I'd like to know is- what is going to do the autofocusing? Unless I've
>missed something important along the way, it still has to be either the body
>or the lens. Is Leica actually going to produce af lenses?

No, definitely not. They were quite firm on this: Leica is not going to
produce AF lenses like Canon or Nikon. They will make sure that all
ROM-equipped R lenses (but only them, of course) will function in AF mode
with a future R8.2. This implies that the current R8 body will have to
undergo some "surgery" in order to make it fully AF (maybe a refined and
more responsive AF than in the Contax AX). When I referred to "fully
ready", I meant the electrical contacts and some other parts, not the
entire inside of the body. We will just have to wait and see to be sure, I
guess!

Pascal
Belgium

This message was created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook