Subject: Erwin Puts Lens Tests
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 20:08:56 -0400

Dear LUGnuts,

I enjoyed reading the recent lens test as reported by Erwin Puts on the
75mm Summilux.  I found the resolution/contrast tests most useful when
coupled with the aperture.  It seems some Leica lenses almost perform at
their maximum potential wide open or improve by stopping down only one
stop.  Then stopping the lens down further just increases the depth of
field.

I'd like to see more of Erwin Puts test results.  Is there a website or
book that would contain his lens tests?

The BAS lens tests as reprinted by Leica pretty much indicate that all the
lenses are great and that some are greater than others.  I'd like to see
more specific results.  I find the test results in Popular photography to
be of little use.  To sum up a Pop Photo Leica lens test is as follows:

The lens was mounted in a massive chrome/brass mount.  It was heavier than
average.  Field tests show crisp slides with some vignetting that was
resolved by stopping down one f stop.  Centering was perfect.  Should last
a lifetime.  High cost but great for those that can afford it.

Well, there you have it.  A generic Leica lens test.  Just assign any Leica
lens to this description and you're probably real close. I subscribe to Pop
Photo but prefer Shutterbug at this point.  Mayb next I'll try Photo
District News (PDN).  I enjoy reading Fred Ward's "words of wisdom."

I still like Erwin Puts' lens tests better.

Happy Shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA