Subject: Re: Faulty frame counter repaired!
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 97 00:27:28 +0200

Marc James Small wrote:

>This issue of M6 quality is simple a sour-grapes canard.  The M6 is the
>toughest of the M's.  I had my main M3 in the shop five times in four
>years, and my main M4 in the shop six times in two.  My M6 has not seen a
>repair shop in the four years I've owned it and it sees a LOT more use =
than
>the earlier ones.  The development of the M6 was meant to produce a tough,
>bullet-proof camera, and did so.

 Marc, I really hate to disagree with you considering your past =
merits in explaining all about the Leicas to the rest of us. And I =
will in no way diminish your valuable contributions. However, I think =
I have a more than legitimate right to complain when something brakes =
down inside my less than six month old Leica.

As far as your own M6 is concerned it appears to be old enough to be =
all metall.

I also want to add that the service technician in question has worked =
exclusively with Leicas for the past 30 years. And he claimsthat the =
counter gear wheel is made out of plastic, not bullet-proof kevlar!

>As to the warranty, I see no reason for you to complain:  you chose to buy
>a grey-market camera and did so knowing the risks involved.

Marc, I didn=B4t complain about the warranty! I just answered a =
question from a fellow Lugger. But I have obviously failed to see a =
risk in not buying an extra expensive Leica. I had no idea they =
produced and sold bad ones! To me the price - US$1600 - was just too =
tempting. And I=B4ve seen even lower prices for the new M6 in =
Japanese camera magazines.

The warranty is valid for 3 years, but only in Japan. When I go back =
there coming autumn I will buy me one more M6. And this time I will =
gladly pay the additional US$160 for a truly international warranty. =
I no longer one hundred percent trust the new Leica M6 quality! =
Please forgive me, Marc!

Claes Bjerner