Subject: Re: New M6 Rangefinder Problem
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:35:34 -0400

Paul Schliesser wrote about the vertical rangefinder mis-alignment:

<snip>
>This was talked about on CompuServe. If you pull off the Leica logo dot
(it's glued on) there is a very tiny screw in the top of the hole that is
revealed. This adjusts the vertical alignment of the rangefinder. Be sure
to use a jeweler's screwdriver and be very, very careful!
<snip>

I will call Leica tomorrow.  The camera is still quite functional - but
annoying for a $2500 piece of equipment.  I watched the technicians make
final adjustments to M6's in Solms last year.  They seem to be qualified.
Perhaps the adjustment went askew in shipping to the states.  On the other
hand, you'd expect them to use enough "glue" to keep these settings from
shifting <bg>.

I can hear Ted in the background - "time to get an R8". <bg>

Back in the 1970's, camera clinics were held at camera shops where
technicians would come out to perform minor repairs and shutter speed
adjustments.  My experience with Leica clinics in the past two years is
that they check shutter speeds, clean things a bit, replace batteries but
they have not done any internal adjustments.  They request you send them in
for repair or adjustments.  Perhaps they're not set up to do adjustments
anymore at remote locations.  I wonder if Leica technicians have to have
"malpractice" insurance.  I do but I'm not a surgeon and I can always
change a patient's prescription if needed (at my expense).

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA