Subject: SLR's
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 12:47:51 +1000

Dear LUGnuts,

I have an ageing Minolta SLR system, which is beginning to creak. I bought
and love the Rollei 3003, but am a little nervous about expanding the
system too far as it seems dead ended. My Minolta CLE is also dying and is
not supported by that company. I have never used auto-focus cameras,
waiting I suppose for the right time to jump in. I've toyed with Canon
Nikon and Minolta replacements for the Minolta, but the results from the
CLE and now my M6 make me a little nervous, especially since the images
from the X700 are not as crisp. My real question is

"How good is modern autofocus?"

I plan to go on to the African subcontinent in the coming 12 months or so
and will be wanting to document the people, flora and fauna, but animal
photography is obviously a "must". Will a modern autofocus "track" a moving
critter with a 200 or 300mm lens. I need practice with the system before
heading off, and unless Rollei is going to come up with fast
solution------?

OK that's enough. First things first, then we can get down into fine
details, and interchangable wish lists. How good is modern Autofocus, and
will I just have to buy one to find out?

Alastair Firkin