Subject: Re: R8 - eye problem
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 08:35:47 -0400

Dear Dick,

In most cases, the glasses prescription is determined using a combination
of factors.  I always look at:

the patient's older prescription (tells you what they have adapted to)
the results of the computerized refraction instrument (gives objective test
results)
the results of the subjective tests (which is better one or two?)
and finally the patient's performance with the new lenses

Even when you do all those things to the best of your ability, sometimes
patients need a little time to adapt to their new prescriprion.  I usually
tell most folks to give it a week.  Some patients need two weeks and
occasionally, 3-4 weeks.  But beyond that, if you haven't achieved your
maximum vision with comfort, then you should go back to see your eye
doctor.  This visit is called an Rx (prescription) check in our office.

In some cases, the office may need to "remake" your lens - in other words
replace it with a new one of a slightly difference prescription.  Usually I
do this at my expense if the patient can't adapt and returns in a
reasonable amount of time - usually 30-60 days.  Some patients return after
two years with blurred vision and want me to replace their lenses at no
charge.  I am mostly a diplomat and a gentleman - but after 90 days, the
patient is reponsible for any lens changes.

Go see your doctor.  Tell him your experience with your new glasses vs your
old glasses. If he's (or she's) a good doc, your lens will be changed.
Sometimes its only a 1/4 diopter change that will clear things up.

I hope you're enjoying your new R8.  With it should have come a Ted Grant
"fan club" registration card  <bg>.  I hope to join that exclusive club
someday.  The price of admission is an R8.  I'v got so save for the 24mm
Aspherical first and then its onward and upward to a Leica SLR.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA