Subject: Re: Decorum on the List
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 17:19:50 -0700

On 23 Jul 97,  Alex Hurst wrote:

<snip>

> At the risk of being boring, don't 'retaliate' - just ignore or delete.
> It's the quickest way to kill (or avoid) a flame war.

Sorry Alex. I appreciate what you're trying to accomplish, but damn it, I
didn't start this simpering, "I'm so sensitive b.s." followed by a
generous dollop of politics. When it is put on here, I will retaliate.
When it stops, I will stop. Consider its genesis.

> And again (at the risk of being even more boring), let's operate by the
> simple guidelines that anyone can express any viewpoint in this group
> that they like, PROVIDING:
>
> a) It's on topic
> b) It's objective, not a personal or political attack,
> c) It's not boring (at the risk of being boring)

That's a huge "providing". Have you noticed that in the last two or so
months, even while Oddmund was away, this list has been off topic in fully
half of the posts. What the devil do you that enjoy all this diversity do,
spend all your computer time an this list? There are other lists galore
whose aims are the diverse photographic commentary that has strangled this
DEDICATED LIST of late. One wouldn't recognize its Leica specific aspect
if one wandered in here, new to the list.

If politics are discussed here and they differ from mine, then that is a
political attack that has no damn place on this list. I will post in
opposition and if that's a political attack on you, tough! Consider its
genesis.

> Roger also wrote:
>
> >          Thought for the day:
> >      Communist (n): one who has given up all hope
> >      of becoming a Capitalist.
>
> To which I would add:
>
> "Capitalism is the exploitation of man by his fellow man.
>
> Communism is precisely the opposite"
>
> Oddvik please note.

I find it interesting to note that Oddmund, after his sensitizing trips
chooses to go back to a democratic republic to live. You too, Alex.
Wouldn't you guys be more comfortable in a third world nation, better yet,
China? It's the strongest remaining Communist nation, not?

I guess Oddvik is acceptable, Alex used it!

You guys that want to pursue this stuff, be my guest. It'll be trench
warfare, if only I take the other side. You want to stop, do so. Even I
will recognize an armistice and pick up the bottle from Oddmund's estate
and toast the truce!

Yeah, like Communism doesn't exploit its people!
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America