Subject: Re: Cam Question for R lenses
From: "Vahan D. Shahinian" <vshahinian@sprynet.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 09:54:03 -0400

>Joe wrote,
>

>>Just wondering- what is it that the R8 can't do without these
>>electronic
>>bits on the lenses?
>>
>>Joe Berenbaum

The biggest, apparent difference is that the ROM lenses can transmit their
focal length to SCA 3000 flash units (via the R8 and SCA 3501 adapter). If
the flash has a motorized zoom head (such as the Metz 40-MZ3), it will
track the lens focal length.

This feature would be most useful on zoom lenses, but unfortunately pre-ROM
zoom lenses cannot be upgraded. It appears that some fixed focal length
lenses cannot be upgraded either. I sent in my 90mm Summicron for a "free"
upgrade, but I was informed by Leica USA that this lens cannot be upgraded
with a ROM.

Vahan