Subject: Re: Some thoughts on the R8 ...
From: ChipZHZ@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 02:53:51 -0400 (EDT)

I gave the F5 a good hard look while waiting six months for my R8.  AF and
8FPS mean little to me, the one attraction was the 1008 pixel matrix meter,
but reviews of the metering showed it no better than more traditional matrix.
Given theoretically similar metering, I picked the R8 to keep the R lenses.
 If I was doing a sports or other action stuff, the AF and 8 FPS , which
seems how Nikon primarily markets the F5(eg the brochure) the F5 would have
been the choice. It was hard to turn it down and wait for the unknown R8.
Intially the R8 seemed a disappointment, the dealer said if I hated the  8 I
could have the  F5.  One roll through the R8 made a fast convert. You can't
really tell by looking at it on the  shelf or brochure but it becomes like an
old friend almost immeidately. The difference in results for my simple skills
was striking(compared to my other R's,my wife's Canon 10S,etc.)  I look back
on my decisional dilemma with the F5 and other R's for that matter,  and I am
very glad I to have the R8.....

good luck,

chip