Subject: Re: Gibberish on the LUG
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:22:41 -0700

At 05:47 PM 7/25/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear LUGers,
>
>I am interested to read a few messages about wether a
>90mm f4 Elmar outperforms a 90mm f2.8 Elmar. I am interested to know
>about the quality of Russian lenses, new product information, etc.
>I am not particularly interested in rantings which have no relation
>to the subject at hand.
>
>I would also like to see more classifieds, although not bitching by
>those involved in the deals. If you do have a problem buying from
>someone, tell them to meet you at dawn somewhere with two pistols and
>settle it honorably, instead of washing you dirty linen in public,
>because I think most of us don't want to know.
>
>cheers and long live Leicas - Jon Mitchell

Hi Jon. How are things in Panama. Get DHL straightened out?

The following is my humble opinion on what you said. And everyone knows
that I'm old enough to have an opinion.

This is a very nice post, except that it's all about what "I" (you) want.
Like PC's, MAC's, and SCSI, there will always be controversy. There are a
lot of people on this list. They ALL want something different than what
someone else wants. Let me tell you what I want. I don't own and never have
owned an M camera. Most of this list is about M stuff. I get tired of
deleting my way through this stuff. Who cares if a 20mm Russian Zorkedorker
has a plastic lens hood or not. Certainly not me. But I don't complain. I
own R equipment. There is some R talk and I participate to the extent of my
knowledge. I've spent many a late night scowering through my library
finding tidbits of information to answer a question posted by a faceless
name, blinking on my computer screen. Tell me I cannot jibe, joke, or
banter (in good taste), and I'll stop. Stop participating all together.
There's also darkroom/lab talk, and a whole lot of philosophical talk that
covers everything from Bokeh to a recent trip to the plight of immigrants.
I like all of this. I like Oddmund's experiences and his slant on life. I
like Luiz's outbursts "compare compare." I remember someone writing "I just
had my beauty kidnapped!" and "the tears are drowning the keyboard!"
Perhaps you know him. This is interesting, as are the digs and jokes. What
we have is a group of LEICA enthusiasts, who also happen to be intelligent,
who have a sense of humor as well as many many interests that relate, in
some way, to either photography (Leica or otherwise), or life (which
includes photography.) All this together, whether a joke about Ted and the
R8, or why an F5 is the ultimate, relates to the individual interests on
this list. The subtle information that transpires is priceless. The talent,
experience, background, age, outlook, etc. of everyone here is different.
And what everyone likes and dislike about an e-mail list is going to be
different. Like a tide, it floods, then ebbs. Please do not take such a
narrow stance so that these very talented individuals get fed-up and leave.
There is a LOT of information to be gleaned from seemingly unimportant
posts. Perhaps the interesting and talented people will stay while the not
so... oh never mind! I'm probably already in trouble!

Jim

ps... Speaking of an interesting, talented, intelligent, outspoken
gentleman, where's Marc?