Subject: Re: Gibberish on the LUG
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET (Danny Gonzalez)
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 00:23:06 -0400 (EDT)

>Tell me I cannot jibe, joke, or
>banter (in good taste), and I'll stop. Stop participating all together.
> I like Oddmund's experiences and his slant on life. I
>like Luiz's outbursts "compare compare." I remember someone writing "I just
>had my beauty kidnapped!" and "the tears are drowning the keyboard!"
>Perhaps you know him. This is interesting, as are the digs and jokes. What
>we have is a group of LEICA enthusiasts, who also happen to be intelligent,
>who have a sense of humor as well as many many interests that relate, in
>some way, to either photography (Leica or otherwise), or life (which
>includes photography.). The subtle information that transpires is priceless.

Jim + Roger (and whomever elses post I quoted. Ted?),

PLEASE (my heartfelt apologies), don't take my quoting of your specific
postings as a criticism of your participation here (!). I was _not,
absolutely not, singling anyone out as a culprit with a bent toward 'idle
chatter'.

Jim, I agree with you entirely on the rude demeanor of the so-called
'prophoto' listops and didn't mean that I was looking for an end to
personal interaction. I'm not complaining about whether 'the' topic' is
kept too either. Your point of a middleground found on/by a given mail list
is a good one and that's what I was aiming to work toward with my comments.
When you wrote:

 " I like Oddmund's experiences and his slant on life. I like Luiz's
outbursts "compare compare."

You were echoing my feeling exactly. My point is that, to me, the 'Leitz
car', and 'the mystery of the L'flex blackout' are, to put it directly, a
useless waste of my finite life. You'll find that I also enjoy an interest
in the romantic presentation of Oddmunds life (I'm in awe of his writing
skills actually) and I don't mind the personal interaction, if it's kept
within the context of interest to more than the poster and postee. I see
Jon Mitchell's guideline of:

"But please fellow Luggers, keep it concise and ask yourself before you hit
SEND...Does anyone really want to read this?"

as the request du jour (though I'm blowing the concise part, ironically). I
ask it humbly and with apology for my guilt as well. I do ask it in
consideration of all, though.

I'm not sure I agree with Jon on the severity of this issue; I thought that
the weeks 'dirty laundry' was handled beautifully and with considerable
respect (for the most part, at least. I think Ben's use of foul language
was very well called for and tactfully minimal, and that the sellers
original complaint was valid as well. My congradulations on one of the
least damaging flamewars I've yet seen).

And, of course, R system conversation is worthwhile.

I'm upset that you felt the need to write this:

>>Tell me I cannot jibe, joke, or banter (in good taste), and I'll stop.
>>Stop participating all together.<<

Your participation is more valuable to others than you're giving yourself
credit for. I'm truly sorry that you seem to have misunderstood my tone.
I'm not chastising or criticizing any_one for their ways. I'm fully
interested in seeing the personalities and the personal interaction of
friendly (or not so friendly) participants voicing their knowledge and
common interests. I'm just not that interested in reading sixty messages a
day about whether someone agrees, loves Etruscan wine or hates their wife,
without any contextual link to photography at all.

Otto's relation of my apparant lack of humor is telling. I do have one,
it's just in Mexico and not NYC.

Roger, Your point that there are some very boring, extremely 'on subject'
lists is also a good one. Tis not what I'm asking for. I'm looking for a
bit more of a balance, tipped away from 'anything goes', toward a more
intelligent ideal of what we all might be interested in reading.

Besides, I couldn't have presented the question more meekly than I did. I
_begged for Chrissakes.

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez