Subject: Re: 70-180 vs. The World
From: "Willem-Jan Markerink" <w.j.markerink@a1.nl>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 21:47:36 +0000

On 26 Jul 97 at 11:13, Thomas J. Donovan wrote:

> First & foremost, I bought my 70-180 APO-Elmarit before I read any tests; in my
> judgement ( based on day-day shooting ), it's as good, if not better, than any
> of
> my fixed focal lengths. It's become my mainstay combo ( R8/70-180 ) for a lot of
>
> my photography.
>
> Per the BAS reports, performance ( sharpness & contrast ) at f2.8 should be
> quite similar between the APO-Macro & the APO-zoom. Per a "Chasseur d' Images"
> report, performance ( they only test for sharpness ) is awesome from f2.8 thru
> f8; it only shows a slight drop in edge performance at f2.8.
>
> In addition, the build quality of the 70-180 APO Elmarit is great; everything
> from the focusing ring ( precise/no play ) to the rotating tripod mount speak to
> quality!

I might have asked this before, but don't think I saw a confirmation:
Does the 70-180 still need focus correction for infrared film, or is
it a true APO in this respect too, just like all other Leica APO primes?
Does it show a red dot on the DOF scale, or is this mentioned in the
manual?

Thanks!

- --
Bye,