Subject: Re: M use
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 97 17:10:33 -0400

>asked for the 1/8000th and a reason for this high shutter speed. To use the
>widest possible apperture does IMHO not need this speed. Normaly you go out
>in the morning or in the evening to look for good light. Even if you go out
>at 12:00 - what film speed do you use to need the 1/8000???

Detlef

I mentioned an experience where I was glad for the very high shutter
speeds. I was using ASA 400 and 800 film, because I was photographing
workers in quite dim interiors. I unexpectedly had to do some similar
shots in very bright sunlight with the same film. If I did not have the
high speeds, I would have had to shoot at very small aperatures, and the
interior and exterior shots would not have matched. I did have a couple
of rolls of Velvia in my bag, but the customer had wanted negs and fast
film was all I had brought.

In a professional camera, I think something like this is worth a lot more
than automated features. In my opinion, the high speeds increase the
versatility of the camera.

If you just shoot for yourself under conditions that you control, this
versatility might not be as important. If you have to adapt to unexpected
conditions and you get paid only if you can bring in photos the client is
happy with, it's a different story.

BTW, I don't have an R8; I used a Contax RTS III and S2, which have top
speeds of 1/4000 and 1/8000.

- - Paul