Subject: Re: Ben Holmes/FKemper
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 17:16:16 -0600 (MDT)

Joy - check your attributes before you bang off a reply such as that below.
I am the one who wrote the statement about milling, cutting, and so forth,
however I'm not German - Fin/Norwegian ancestry <G>. AND, I refuted the
statement that anything marked "Solms" was not of "Leitz" quality, which
would make me of the other camp. So, given that, how am I supposed to answer
your question? BTW, it's nice to have you here. You sound pretty level
headed, and obviously you love the quiet little cameras.

>In einer eMail vom 31.07.97  02:28:2,  schreiben Sie
>
> << It is silly to
>  suggest that the folks at Solms are not those same folks who turned and
>  milled and cut and ground parts in Wetzlar. >>
>
>BEN - read this carefully, you have a habit of changing words around
>in your statements & therefore changing the meaning.
>
> Actually, they are the same people. Leica Solms is merely an assembly and
> testing area, besides this marketing, pr and other administration
>departments
> are located there. A lot of Leica parts still are made in Wetzlar (which is
> only three miles away from Solms). When Leica made the M6J, they really
> activated machinery last used to make M3 parts. However: 70 Percent of the
> assembly of any M6 is done in Portugal. But I think they do it that way at
> least for the last 15 years.
> Ben - is the origin of a product where it is assembled or where the parts
>are made?  My PC has parts made in a half dozen countries & assembled in
>Thailand.  Do you believe what the German gentleman has written above
>or have the workers from Wetzlar moved to Portugal
>
>Joy Lindstrom

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes
Boulder, CO

visit my web site at http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/
Leica serial numbers and Leica classifieds are no longer available
http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/photodat.htm