Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #572
From: ABreull@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 02:40:53 -0400 (EDT)

In einer eMail vom 02.08.1997  03:23:47, schreiben Sie:

>At 07:38 PM 8/1/97 -0400, Alf wrote:
>>Maybe, but in my experience the Zeiss Jena lenses (Biometar 80, 120,
>>Flektogon 50) have far better optical abilities (not mechanics !!!) than
>>Oberkochen's equivalents (Planar, Distagon), and are on 1/4 to 1/3 of the
>>price. And, as known also, the (Rolleiflex built-in) 3.5/75 Planar is
better
>>also than the 2.8/80 Planar.
>>
>>Maybe it's different with 35mm camera lenses ... although there is hardly
>any
>>lens which compares to the 20 mm Flektogon (exept the Super Angulon,
maybe).

>The only answer possible is a gasp and a snort.  This simply isn't true.
>
>The Biometar is ALMOST as good as a Planar.  The Flektogon is ALMOST as
>good as a Distagon.  As for the 3.5/75 Planar, well, I have sold all mine
>and now have only 2.8 lenses.  Figure it out for yourself.
>
>Please understand:  I think Jena did a better job with binoculars than did
>Oberkochen/Wetzlar.  But with camera lenses?  No.  There are some that
>shine:  the 2.8/180 is a superb telephoto, for instance.  But the
>Oberkochen Planar and Distagon are still distinguishably better than their
>Jena equivalents.
>
>Why the hell do you think we WON the Cold War?
>
>Marc James Small
>Vice-President, the Zeiss Historica Society

During the last 20 years I bought a total of  4 Hasselblads with the Planar
2.8/ 80 because of the superb Hasselblad construction idea, but sold 3 after
some weeks again because of the rather poor optical abilities compared to the
3.5/75 Planar or the 2.8/80 Biometar. Additionally, I tried the Rollei 66 and
sold it. And, I will sell my pesent Hasselblad on the same reason.

Further, the extraordinary abilities of the Flektogon compared to any other
lens (Distagon included) were published by Will McBride in the 70th already.

I don't know why the hell you won the Cold War - maybe better management,
more money, and better attorneys? But it doesn't change anything on the
better optical abilities of the Zeiss Jena lenses mentioned above.

Why don't you call one of your German friends to compare his best Planar and
Diastagon against my poor Biometar and Flektogon. He will get tears in his
eyes over the Zeiss Oberkochen lenses ... On the other side I'm happy, that
guys like you exists, because it means, that I get a good price for my
Hasselbald <fat grin>.

- -Alf