Subject: Re: Leica M6 and Contax G2
From: Chuck Warman <cwarman@wf.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 18:57:22 -0500

As I've followed this thread, I've found myself getting more and more
irritated, and I just now figured out why.  It has nothing to do with you
fine folks; I'm ticked off at Leitz.  This is no sour grapes, either -
until last month, I'd shot nothing but Leica (in 35mm) for 20 years.

My G2 outfit (camera +28, 45 and 90 lenses) cost $2,960 (+ $100 for lens
hoods) new from Camera World of Oregon. The comparable new M6 outfit goes
for about $6,400.  Everyone on the list who has compared them admits
(albeit often grudgingly) that overall quality of construction and lens
image quality are about equal.  The G2 offers 4fps motor drive, autofocus,
autoexposure, autobracketing, TTL flash, etc, etc. - all of which, except
for autofocus, can be easily switched to manual.  Most of the  drawbacks
mentioned are subjective - too much automation, too conspicuous, too noisy,
funny lens mount.  Also, many of the complaints were based on use of the
G1, and have been addressed in the G2.  But I digress.  My real question is...

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE OTHER $3,340???

Chuck