Subject: Re: Christmas disc
From: Detlef Beyer <d.beyer@hermes.de>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:45:30 +0200

Alastair wrote:
>If there is enough interest, I suggest that each of us has the opportunity
>to submit a number of his/ her favourite images of the last 12 months -
>perhaps 3 for argument and send them to me together with an empty
>recordable CD. I will then collate them, cut the CD for each of you and
>send it back for Christmas! Then I will begin to nag you all again in 12
>months time to return your disc and the next 3 or so images, repeat the
>process and return it in time for Christmas 98 etc.

Since you don't own a cd recorder: if you use a 4*speed recorder, each CD
will take (presuming that you defragmented the hard disk and everything
else is ready to burn) you about 15-20 minutes to get finished (with
650MB)! If you multiply this by 50 you will sit in front of the recorder
for nearly 24 hours (if nothing went wrong)....

>The images could be sent as prints, negatives, slides, duplicates, or as
>electronic PICT or JPEGs, Though the later would be easier and the others
>would need to put up with my scanning it will give everyone an opportunity
>to contribute.

You need a taff scanner to get 35mm slides scanned in a good quality. Also
you will have to adjust the images to a different gamma on Mac or Windoze
machines (we are talking about 24bit color depth - 8Bit is so poor, the
gama doesn't matter) and in most of the times you will have to use
Photoshop to make the image look nice on a screen. For example the consumer
quality Kodak PhotoDisc offers a good base for editing the images but
without touching the files, you will get a very poor result. The best way
IMO should be: you define two or three formats (PICT, JPEG... with fixed
size) and we send you digitized images. The poor thing with this solution
is, that the quality and look of the images will differ a lot from LUGer to
LUGer - the CD will not get a professional touch.

If you realy get this project working - I can offer to build an interactive
application (Mac, Win) in Director6 to handle the images and to put them
into nice "clothes"... something like the interface of the new National
Geographic CD-ROM (NG sells the 30 CD-ROMs for $199 - wich is $ 6.3 for one
CD: that's what you pay for an empty recordable CD - more or less!), with
reduced functionality?! You don't have to enter any source code - I would
send you everything ready to take over the external images files?!
If you find a sponsor (the little red dot on the CD) you could look for
sombody to press the CD-ROM (silver) for you. Costs about $1.5 to $2.5 per
CD if they press > 1000.

Cheers,

Detlef

<LEICA IMAGES> http://www.hermes.de/chile/ </LEICA IMAGES>