Subject: Re: New R8 Convert
From: "Dr. Elliot Puritz" <drpuritz@li.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:42:15 -0400

Ted and other R8 tutors.:

Ted...have a quick question about proper technique with the R8
metering.  Took a picture of my wife under an umbrella, bright
backround outside the awning, about 15 feet away.  .  Of course you
already know that the subject was too dark.  I had thought that simply
using the P setting with matrix metering would work...the system would
ignore the brightness outside the shade.  No such luck.  Is this a
situation that demands the spot feature of the metering?  I tried to
use the EV feature, but probably didn't increase the exposure enough.
All other exposures were dead on.  Incidentally Ted, on the beach or
snow, would the matrix feature work, or again would one need to work a
la M6 with metering the face, step back, then using that exposure go
to work, or does the matrix feature " know " what to do in such a
situation.

I am enjoying my new R8 you devil you...the new 80-200 works great,
and is very ergonomically contructed.  I understand that the 35-70 is
being redesigned yet again.

And, I enjoy the book very much.  But Ted, when are you going to do a
feature on Dermatologists?

Elliot