Subject: Re: Later R4
From: Gerard Captijn <captyng@vtx.ch>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 07:38:01 +0200

At 02:22 PM 26/08/1997 PST, you wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>      It was my understanding that the later R4 made concurrently with R4SP
>     were manufactured in Germany as it was marked so.

The bulk of the R4's were marked "Made in Portugal". The IC came from
Ferranti in the UK. The Seiko shutter came from the Minolta XD-7 but
incorporated some improvements by Leitz. Mirror housing and transport
mechanism were made in Wetzlar. Final assembly and control was done in
Portugal.

The country mentioned in the engraving "Made in ..........." is today
determined by where the largest part of the value of the camera is created.
As an example, if the costprice of a Famaliciao (Leica Portugal) made
camera is 25 and Leica imports the camera into Germany to sell it for 100
from Solms, they can legally engrave "Made in Germany".

Gerard  Captijn.
Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
Email: captyng@vtx.ch