Subject: Re: Planar/Summicron 35
From: Pascal MEHEUT <pascal@murex.fr>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 09:26:28 +0200

> On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Erwin Puts wrote:
>
> 	That's an interesting possibility.  I did wonder why they would
> try to outdo the non-ASPH 35 Summicron.  Perhaps the Planar-T edges past
> it in some areas of performance.

Because there was a lot of room for improvement, especially wide-open,
or to be more precise between f2 and and f4. I've owned the original
summicron, the summilux as well as the 35mm/1.4 ASPH and now use only
the 35mm/2 ASPH (which I prefer because it is much more compact than
the 1.4 ASPH).

With the ASPH ones, I've been able to take pictures in the range
1/8sec-1/30sec at F2 or F2.8 on Sensia or Reala 100 ISO film and the
difference between the ASPH lenses and the "standard" ones is obvious.
There are not only sharper on the full frame, but also have more
constrast.

Of course, at F5.6 or F8 or with Tri-X, there is probably no
difference.

- --
					Pascal Meheut
					pascal@murex.fr