Subject: Re: Film recommendation please
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 19:40:09 -0700

>I'm about to have a holiday.   Does someone have a favourite film (neg &
>chrome please) that can handle bright blue and bright red side by side?

Blues and reds are rendered with great saturation by Fuji Velvia. I prefer
less punch for some subjects; for an earthy, natural look try good old
Kodachrome 64. For more saturation with a neutral color balance try Kodak
100S; it is not as over the top as Velvia. I'm not sure what will work best
with your bright red and blue (are these sky and rocks or panels in a hot
air ballon?) but if the brightness and boldness of the color is of
uppermost concern then the Velvia will give it to you.

For negative film I've had best luck with the Kodak Royal Gold films and
the Fuji Reala. The results with color neg. film are greatly dependent on
printing and commercial printing is very poor in my experience. I only use
color neg. film for snapshots at birthday parties where I know I'll need to
distribute several prints if one of the shots is appealing.

Good luck.

- -Charlie