Subject: Tele Elmarit M
From: "Fantoni, Ernesto" <Fantoni@PHIBRED.COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 12:34:53 +0200

On Mon, 08 Sep 1997 12:29 Stephen Gandy wrote:
>IN this particular lens (due to
>design changes to save the almighty $$)  it is very difficult to take
>apart the rear element once it has been attacked in order to clean it
>properly.  The only thing you can really do is have a clear one taken
>apart and rel-ubed with modern synthetic grease BEFORE the problem
>presents itself.  I did it on mine, and have had no trouble.  My source
>of information is Don Chatterton.

Len,

I confirm what Stephen says. I bought few months ago a slim 4 elements
Tele Elmarit (I hope we are talking about this Tele Elmarit) and Don
Chatterton told me to be very careful with this lens: he didn't mention
any grease, he simply said it's almost impossible to clean this lens as
the rear element is fixed in the barrel. I'm satisfied with the image
quality, anyway.
Is there anybody that can give some infos about the serial numbers of
the bad batch(s)?
Should be very helpful, also to avoid wrong purchases.

Ernesto