Subject: Re: Lens to film-plane in Hollywood
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:39:26 -0400 (EDT)

 Donal -
   Since I have worked only in the Hollywood Motion Picture Studios my
 my whole adult life, I know the still cameramen & photo-journalists of
 '50s & '60s.  Practically all of them had switched over to Nikon's when
 low-light films were being made.  Before that it was Speed Graphics &
 Rollei's. The Leica's that also were used, since they were quieter, were
 usually sent to Mel Pierce in Hollywood to be shimmed.  Sometimes
 only a thin layer of lacquer was required but I think that is really "over-
 kill".  Leica's were used in preference to Nikon's by those that didn't want
 to be bothered with a blimp, since the Nikon mirror slap was picked up
 by the microphones.  Eventually, the still camera man was only allowed
 to shoot during rehearsals for that reason.
   I just read a note from Al Banones, who is a top notch-Leica repairman,
 and he states that the lens to film plane measurement is 1.7126".  Al is
 one of the 14 that the LHSA lists as recommended, but I am sure that
 there are more than just 14, but just havent been listed yet

<<
 Which got me to wondering just how often I should be having ALL my
 lenses checked for alignment, especially since I was trained as a "devil
 may care" photojournalist where cameras just get thrown in the Domke
 bag, itself almost 30 years old, faded and tattered.
  Photography's equivalent to "grunge" fashion.
  Donal Philby
 San Diego