Subject: Noctilux & Kodak T400CN
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 00:03:09 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I was able to lecture in San Francisco two weekends ago and took along my
M6 with a Noctilux/1.0 and a supply of Kodak T400CN.  I shot three rolls
using all available light (or better described as available darkness).
There is a great blues club on the top floor of the Intercontinental Hotel.
 I took most shots using f1.0 and a few at f 1.4.  You can almost feel the
music coming through the film.  The Noctilux combined with this new film is
a match made in heaven.  Highlights are well controlled with shadow detail
preserved.  The combination handles the high levels of contrast with stage
lighting very well.  Also got some shots of a friend and his new daughter.
Images appear to be grainless - no doubt due to the chromogenic film.  The
little bit of vignetting around the edges simply frames the subject better.

Another great photo opportunity in San Francisco was at the Buena Vista.
This is a bar/restaurant along the waterfront that specializes in Irish
coffee and various foods.  They claim they invented Irish coffee almost 100
years ago.  The bartender lines up about 25 glasses along the bar, pours in
hot water to warm the glasses, then coffee, irish wiskey and cream.  The
photos are a real lessen in depth of field.  You can count the number of
glasses in front of and behind the plane of focus.

My favorite photo equipment combination is this new Kodak chromogenic film
and the Noctilux.  The M6 is simply a tool to hold the lens and advance the
film.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD